2016. While the internet seemed to be less than impressed with this particular year, I have to say that I had a great one! I also have a naturally positive outlook at all times, but with that aside, the highlights still definitely outshined the lowlights. And for that, I’m incredibly thankful.
At times, this blog acts as sort of a scrapbook/diary of my life, if you will, so I’m using this post as a mini-recap of my highlights of 2016. I’m also sharing my 2016 adventures, my favorite outfits, what outfits YOU loved the most and the pieces y’all couldn’t get enough of in 2016 from Lone Star Looking Glass.
Finishing it off with my resolutions for 2017 and goals. The first step in achieving a goal or resolution is writing it down, is it not?
By far, finding out that we were going to be PARENTS was definitely the highlight of the year. The last 9 months have certainly been an adventure and I’ll always look back on 2016 as the year I spent pregnant. 🙂 Needless to say, I’m super excited for what’s in store so very soon!
This year we were able to travel more than ever before. From the West Coast to the East Coast, Patrick and I had some amazing opportunities to explore the country just the two of us. Our trip to San Francisco was like a dream.
Followed by what ranks up there as in the best day of my entire life, was our trip to Big Sur.
Our stay at Farmhouse Inn in Sonoma was also dream-like! And little did I know, this would be some of my last sips of wine for the next nine months. Good thing I went out in style! 😉
Lone Star Looking Glass also took me on quite a few adventures in 2016. Some of which I never expected! From the rewardStyle conference in Dallas (where I wore these two pretty looks above) to Charleston in August for The Blog Societies Conference, I was able to network with bloggers from across the country and learn quite a few tips & tricks too!
Shout out to some of my favorite Houston girls who made the trip to Charleston all the more fun!
Early fall brought along another amazing opportunity – a chance to travel to NYC for some brand meetings and to attend a few blogger events. Of course, my mom had to come along!!
If you told me a year ago I’d be heading up to The Big Apple for blog business, I would have thought you were nuts! I’m seriously so thankful where Lone Star Looking Glass has taken me this year. It’s been such a fun ride!
Another blogger business related trip was my press trip to Dallas where I got to spend four days with these fabulous ladies! Exploring everything The Big D had to offer was such a fun experience and I’m already itching to go back up there with Patrick. (Mostly so I can have Rosewood Mansion’s Tortilla Soup again!!!)
The last big trip of 2016 was our Babymoon to Maine. We visited both Kennebunkport & Portland during the peak of their fall foliage (totally planned it that way) and were lucky enough to enjoy some chilly fall temperatures too. I highly HIGHLY recommend any sort of babymoon to an expecting couple. The chance to reconnect outside of your element during this special time is like no other!
Since Maine, we’ve been “grounded” in Houston. You never know when the little one might make her appearance so we’ve been making the most of the city we call home.
2016 was a year of honing in on my “personal style” and experimenting with trends.When people ask me to describe my style, I say “classic meets bohemian with a bit of Southwestern flair.” After looking back at some of my top style posts of the year, I’d say that description remains pretty true. It sure is a fun one!
From fringe, printed mini dresses to over-the-knee boots & lace, I had such fun sharing my latest fashion finds with you all this year! The pieces y’all loved the MOST were a fun surprise to look back on too!
reader favorites from 2016:
Other Notable Highlights:
- Making the switch from Marketing at Francesca’s to my new position at Cheeky Vintage!
- Being named one of Southern Living’s Top Instagrammers of 2016.
- Finding a new home perfect for our family of three, and fixing it up!
- Finding out my dad had cancer. 🙁 Definitely NOT a highlight at all, but seeing him fight and still be in good spirits about it has been wonderful. He’s in my prayers every day!
- Hosting Thanksgiving for my family here in Houston.
- Travelling to Mexico for my bestie’s bachelorette weekend.
- Telling my parents, in-laws & my 98-year-old grandmother that we were having a baby. Their reactions were PRICELESS.
- Transferring my blog from blogger to wordpress (a complicated but totally worth it experience/)
- Spending 4th of July at one of my favorite places in the world (Lake Norris) with Patrick’s family.
- And last but not least, far exceeding any and all goals I had for Lone Star Looking Glass a year ago today!
Resolutions/Goals for 2017
- Be a freaking awesome MOM!
- While being said freaking awesome mom, still making time for myself and Patrick
- Continue creating content on Lone Star Looking Glass that makes me proud to share
- Say YES to as many new opportunities as possible
- But also not to be afraid to say NO more often too
- Travel with baby. I’ve already got three trips lined up for her/us before she turns six months old. Wish us luck!
- Save more $$ (Always a good one!)
- Visit family & friends more often.
- Teach a human to talk and walk.
- Get back in shape! (If y’all have tips on how to get your body back after pregnancy, I’d loooove to hear them!)
- Instead of church hopping, find a church we love here in Houston.
- Eat healthy. (Sorry Alice, no more cinnamon rolls & toaster strudels for breakfast every day….)
While I’m sure I’m leaving a ton out of my recap and resolutions for next year, the general gist of them all is shared here. I’m looking forward to looking back on this post in years to come, remembering the smaller moments & being thankful for everything 2016 brought with it! Thank you all SO much for following along this journey called life with me. Y’alls feedback, everyday comments and visits to the blog mean more to me than you know!