A new year means a new chapter with pages yet to be written or read in the novel that is life. When you think about it that way, anything seems to be possible! Each & every year I try to set some new resolutions … but end up forgetting about them a month into it. Let’s be honest, I’ve never been one who likes to go to the gym. And that’s okay! This year I’m setting more broader resolutions with intentions and goals that will hopefully keep me on track to a fulfilling and enjoyable next chapter to my book!
Rounding them all up below …
But before I share my new years resolutions, I’m going to chit chat about this look really quick! This poncho is a recent Anthropologie find that has been so perfect for the holiday season and the new year. It’s by Cecilia Prado who also made this fabulous dress. She specializes in knitwear and this poncho has a strand of red shimmer woven into the fabric that makes it as festive as can be! Sadly, it’s sold out but I’ve linked two scarves by Cecilia Prado below that are similar in design & on super sale too.
There’s nothing I love more than a sweater, jeans & bootie combo and I love this fresh take on the trend. The lightweight poncho is perfect for Houston and paired with my Seychelles Dialogue booties, this look totally works for our milder winters.
But anywho, now onto my resolutions!
- Spend more time off of my phone and away from the TV. My goal this year is to live in the moment as much as possible. While social media is part of my job, this is much harder to do!
- One thing I’ve been doing the past few months that has been amazing is putting my phone either in another room or across my bedroom when I go to bed. No endless scrolling as I try to fall asleep. With all that free time, I’ve even been able to read a few good books this year!
- Try to spend less time in social apps. I love instagram, you guys. Surprise! But when you’re on the business side of it it can be soooo draining feeling the need to interact for hours on end day after day. I plan to be more mindful of how much time I spend surfing the app so I can focus on other avenues instead.
Develop New Habits & Kick the Old Ones to the Curb
- This list could be endless, sharing the new things I want to implement and the bad habits I want to get rid of. But I’ll go ahead and give y’all two!
- What I would give to wake up at 5 am every single day and LOVE it. Annie usually wakes (me) up between 6:30-7 and our busy day begins. As soon as I wake up I realize my mile-long to-do list and I don’t even have a moment to start it until her first nap of the day if we are fortunate enough to get one. My hope is that I can wake up an hour or so before she does each & every day to knock out what I need to do. Not only will I be able to drink my coffee while it’s still warm, but each day will feel a bit less stressful too.
- STOP EATING SO MUCH JUNK FOOD. This has been one of my biggest weaknesses for years. I mean I just literally lose my mind when a bag of flaming hot anything is set in front of me. It’s like I’ve lost all self-control. I really just need to stop buying said flaming hot things at the grocery store and focus more on healthy (or even health-ier) snacks.
Invest in More Experiences
- It’s fitting that I’m compiling this list after reading this inspiring yet heartbreaking post by a young woman who recently passed away from cancer. Knowing her days were limited, the life lessons she shared really struck me are a great reminder that each and every day is a gift and not to be taken for granted. (Check it out here)
- One thing she mentioned is to invest your money in experiences as opposed to material items. After all, you can’t take your possessions with you but you can hold onto those memories forever.
- I hope to live 2018 (and every year beyond) to the absolute fullest while realizing each & every day is a true gift. Whether that means getting out of the house to experience more of Houston, the outdoors or even traveling more to soak in all that this world has to offer … I’m all for making that more of a priority and taking my little family along with me!
Spend More Time with Family
- When I was in my early twenties, you could have bought me a 1-way plane ticket to Europe and I would have thought I could have stayed there for the rest of my life. With Patrick along for the journey of course! But now that we have Annie, my thoughts have completely shifted. I’ve never wanted to be closer to family more and this is something I want to make that more of a priority in 2018.
- It’s so hard to spend time with them when the distance is so great. Friends in similar situations have mentioned quality over quantity and I’ll just have to remind myself of that when those homesick days come along.
- Until the visits come along, I’m thankful for FaceTime, group text & snapchat!
Be Better at Balancing
- Balancing working from home and parenting is HARD y’all. Really hard. Annie, of course, takes priority over everything and sometimes I find that I’m days behind on what I need to be doing and where I need to be in both blogging, freelance work, & daily chores.
- But this quote keeps me sane and reminds me that it’s okay to set my work aside: “Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work.” – CS Lewis.
- I just need to be better about waking up earlier & taking advantage of my evenings. Basically just stop binging on Netflix every night and get down to business!! Easier said than done.
What are your goals, resolutions, and intentions for 2018? I’d love to hear some and hopefully add more to my list too! And as always you guys, thank you so much for stopping by the blog and following along this fashionable journey of mine. It’s definitely made for a fun few chapters of my life’s book and I’ve got you guys to thank for being here!
photos by Ban Avenue