henri bendel light blue uptown satchel c/o // bella ivy ditto’s boyfriend jeans c/o // swell caroline tassel necklace c/o // anthropologie lace top // tom’s sunnies // lace up wedges (similar)
This concept has been around for quite some time. I’m all about trying new trends and taking fashion risks, but for some reason it took me years to jump on the boyfriend jean bandwagon. I put them off because I wasn’t sure if they would look good on me or how I would even go about styling them.
Flash forward to today – I now regret all of the years spent in uncomfortable skinny jeans when I could have been wearing the equivalent of (fashionable) pajama jeans. Okay, these actually look and probably feel nothing like the “pajama jean” you may have seen on that popular infomercial not too long ago. BUT these charlie ditto jeans from the cute online boutique bella ivy are SO incredibly comfortable that I could fall asleep in them. No joke! (Plus, the under $75 price tag is pretty nice too!) If you decide to order them, be sure to size down. You’ll thank me! 🙂
I could go on all day about what it feels like to wear soft, baggy & oh-so comfortable jeans, but I’ll spare ya’ll. 🙂 Today I want to talk about how to style the skinny jean’s biggest adversary: the boyfriend jean.
1. It’s all about what you pair them with and the look you want to achieve – casual or dressy. Believe it or not boyfriend jeans look just as good when sitting on the couch as they do out at a fancy restaurant with friends.
2. Style with feminine accessories or details keeps the look from being too “boyish.” I chose this fun tassel necklace from Swell Caroline (the neutral colors make it super easy to style!) and a causal t-shirt with lace details to give this look a more “girly” appeal.
3. Tuck it in. Whether you’re pairing your jeans with a silky black tank, a simple button up or a flowy top, tucking in your top (or at least the front portion) will keep your outfit from looking too bulky.
4. Heels or flats both work. I personally love the way boyfriend jeans look with heels. It’s that fun juxtaposition when wearing something slouchy with something more polished. For a night out you can pair your boyfriend jeans with a simple tank, a statement necklace and a pair of heels. I chose to wear heels with this casual weekend look, but I think it would look just as cute with a pair of converse too!
5. However you style them, the most important thing is to feel confident in what you’re wearing, because who really cares what anyone else thinks? Fashion is for you, so have fun with it when trying new things!
At the moment, this particular look is my favorite way to wear these oh-so comfy jeans. But I’m also looking forward to the many different ways that I can dress them up or down this summer. You know I’ll be sharing those looks on this little blog of mine when I do!
On another note, I hope you guys are having a great Monday so far! If any of you all also watch Game of Thrones, can we just have a moment of silence for the unexpected tragedy in last night’s episode? I have quite a few theories on what XXXX’s death is going to mean going forward. Stinks that we have to wait almost an entire year to see what happens next! That’s TV for you, I guess. 🙂
As always, thanks for stopping by the blog!
photography by lauren beatty